Welcome to the home
of Canadian Latvians
The Latvian Canadian Cultural Centre is the heart of Latvian life in Toronto and Canada. Its mandate is to foster and sustain Latvian heritage and cultural traditions and to provide a venue for social and cultural exchange with other cultural communities in Canada. The non-profit Centre provides facilities for cultural, social, business and recreational activities for the general public and its members.
The Centre was incorporated in 1977 as a non-profit registered charity and the facility was purchased in the same year through fund raising drives within the community as well with the help of a Wintario grant. The building was remodeled and opened to the public in 1979. The Honourable William G. Davis, Premier of Ontario, and his Worship Mel Lastman, Mayor of the City of North York, officially opened the Centre in 1980. Since that time, the Centre has received two grants from the Trillium Foundation (2003/04 and 2008) as well as a grant from the City of Toronto (2007 Culture Built Grant) for capital improvements.
Latvian Canadian Cultural Centre
4 Credit Union Drive
Toronto, ON, M4A 2N8
Road Reconstruction at Credit Union and Swift Drive
What Work is Taking Place?
Crews will be conducting roadway surface reconstruction approaching and within the Swift and Credit Union Drive intersection along Eglinton Avenue East. The reconstruction follows the completion of utilities work in this area.
The reconstruction will take place in two phases (depicted below) and take approximately six (6) weeks to complete. Work will begin on the south side of Eglinton at Credit Union Drive and then shift to the north side of Eglinton Avenue East at Swift Drive. Work will begin as early as November 17th, 2018.
All works are in support of the construction of the Crosstown LRT tracks and guideway (dedicated transit lane) in the center of Eglinton Avenue East.
STAGE 1: Credit Union Drive at Eglinton Avenue East will be closed as early as November 17th, 2018 for approximately three (3) weeks.
- Traffic will change to the first stage of the reconstruction as early as November 17th, 2018. and remain in this configuration for approximately three (3) weeks.
- Traffic will then change to the second stage of reconstruction and remain in this configuration for approximately three (3) weeks.
- Work may occur between the hours of 7:00 AM and 11:00 PM, seven (7) days a week.
- The contractor may not always work during the permitted hours, but may do so at its discretion.
- Updates on works taking place during overnight periods will be communicated separately.
- Work may be rescheduled due to weather conditions or unforeseen circumstances.
What to Expect
- Road closures are required to complete road reconstruction activities approaching and within the Swift and Credit Union Drive intersection along Eglinton Avenue East.
- Access to properties and businesses will be maintained via alternate routes at the Sloane Avenue and Bermondsey Road at Eglinton Avenue East intersection.
- A separate notice will be provided for the required driveway closures.
- A minimum of one through lane of traffic in each direction will be maintained.
- Pedestrians and road users can expect delays when travelling through the work zone.
- As always, please take care when travelling near work sites.
- Motorists accessing Credit Union and Mobile Drive will be required to enter at the Bermondsey Road and Eglinton Avenue East intersection.
- Motorists accessing Swift Drive and Eccleston Drive will be required to enter at the Sloane and Eglinton Avenue East intersection.
- A temporary eastbound TTC stop will be set up slightly west of its current location for the duration of this work.
- A temporary westbound TTC stop will be set up slightly east of its current location for the duration of this work.
- Relocation and re-routing of bus stops and buses respectively, is done in consultation with TTC to ensure construction can continue safely while minimizing impact on the community and customers.
- Short-term intermittent closures of pedestrian crosswalks at Swift and Credit Union Drive may be required to complete road reconstruction in these areas.
- Pedestrian crossing will be available at the Sloane Avenue and Bermondsey Road at Eglington Avenue East intersection.
- Pedestrian rerouting around work zones is done to protect the safety of pedestrians. Detours will be clearly marked with signage to direct pedestrians to the alternate routes.
Where do Latvians charge their souls when the batteries are low? Here. Our land is our strength, our ancient songs – our guiding light. Latvia – our power-station by the Baltic Sea, in Northern Europe, celebrating one hundred years.
The Centre belongs to all of us!
The Latvian Canadian Cultural Centre has provided a place for our Latvian community to come together for 36 years. Our volunteers today continue to provide their services that continue to bring in strong revenue and assist in paying some of the costs associated with maintaining the building.
Donations from members and Latvian organizations in the past also assisted in keeping the Centre strong and viable. Unfortunately, as our community ages, and others move away from the Centre, resources to assist with the required upkeep of the Centre has also decreased substantially. Hall rentals and catering do not offset this loss.
LCCC Scholarship Fund
The Latvian Canadian Cultural Centre’s Scholarship Fund was established in 1986, to further student’s Latvian Studies. Since that time, $160,000 has been awarded in scholarships.
The 2018 Scholarship application is attached. Fully completed applications must be submitted to the Latvian Centre office by May 15, 2018.
We offer traditional Latvian foods freshly prepared in the Birches kitchen, including Baltic style breads baked on the premises as well as a wide selection of popular Latvian style pastries.
Looking for a venue to host your next meeting, seminar, or training session, a wedding, anniversary, birthday or social gathering?
Please contact the office:
4 Credit Union Dr, Toronto, ON M4A 2N8
Tālrunis (416) 759-4900 | E-pasts: firstname.lastname@example.org
At The Birches we pride ourselves on delivering quality food at affordable prices to a wide range of clients for both social and business functions.
For further information:
(416) 759 3090 | email@example.com
During the fall and winter season, an all you can eat buffet is offered on most Friday nights from 5:30pm.
Please call the main office for details. 416-759-4900
Sunday Brunches at the Latvian Centre
Kad domājam par Toronto Latviešu Centru, mums, torontiešiem un hamiltoniešiem, tūlīt nāk prātā Azaidi – to plānošana, gatavošana vai baudīšana. Neskaitāmi daudziem ir bijusi iespēja izbaudīt šo seno Centra tradīciju.
Azaidi notiek apmēram reizi mēnesī. Skatat sarīkojumu kalendārā.
Latvian Canadian Cultural Centre
4 Credit Union Drive
Toronto, ON M4A 2N8